Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Do you trust me?

One of my favorite Disney movies is Aladdin.  Do you remember how all Jasmine wanted to do was to get out of the Palace walls?  Now here comes Aladdin on his magic carpet, with his hand reaching out to Jasmine, asking one simple question, "Do you trust me?"  At that moment, Jasmine had a choice to make, did she trust Aladdin and even though she may not of trusted the Magic Carpet, did she trust Aladdin enough to follow him.  Of course this is Disney, so of course she trusted him and off they went on a wonderful adventure.  Can you imagine what she would have missed, and how the story would have been different, if she didn't trust him?  It is one of my favorite parts and songs of the movie.

Well we don't live in a Disney movie, but God is asking us, "Do you trust me?"  When God tells us to, "Be anxious for nothing", he is telling us to trust him.  God tells us to, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto thy own understanding."

Our own understanding would say, but carpets do not fly, carpets can't hold our weight..., but do we trust him?

I have learned to trust God over the years and to take God at his word.  When he says he will supply all my needs, I trust him.  When he tells me that his plans for me are to give me a hope and a future, I trust him.  When the Bible says, "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!  Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints!  There is no want to those who fear Him.   The young lions lack and suffer hunger; But those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing. I trust that.

I trust God because of who he is.  When I have moments of doubt, I ask myself, "Why am I not trusting God right now?"  Is God a man that he should lie?  No!!!  If God does not lie, then what causes me not to trust him?  Do I compare him to man?  Do I think that his promises must be for someone else?  Surely, they can't be for me, I've messed up, I've....., fill in the blank.  But his promises don't depend on who I am, his promises depend on who he is.  I've come to realize that for way too long, I had a very small God, and I kept him in a small box.  But now, I let him be who he is, "Then the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, saying, "Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh; is anything too difficult for Me?"

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

So I have come to trust him in a way I never thought possible.  I have learned to give my anxious thoughts to him. (One of the things I love most about God, when I find that I can't do what he asks of me, I can ask for his help and he is always willing to help). So when he says be anxious for nothing, I can, because he helps me.  I have learned to pray and let go.  I have learned to give thanks in all things, and I have that peace of God that surpassed all comprehension.

This is what I pray for you, this is what God wants for you.  What ever you are going through right now, take your eyes off the problem, and spend time in God's word meditation on his promises.  I can assure you when you start doing this, everything in your life will change.  That peace of God, is for you.  It is God's promise and gift for just trusting God. 

If you are going through something right now, and you would like prayer, please feel free to share, knowing that I will pray for you, but also know that God already has everything in control and nothing, and I mean nothing is going to happen to you that God has not allowed.  But please don't get that twisted, just because, God has allowed something to happen to you, you can not blame God for what has happened.  Sometimes things happen because of our own sin, sometimes it is because it simply rains on the just and the unjust, but all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to his purpose.

So trust Him, He loves you.  And He is there for you, even during the difficult times.  And that peace of God is not dependent on your circumstances, it is dependent on resting in the assurance of who God is.

DO YOU TRUST HIM?

No comments:

Post a Comment