Thursday, January 17, 2013

Needed rest or excuse?

Now he arose from the Synagogue and entered Simon's house.  But Simoj's wife's mother was sick with a high fever, and they made a request of Him concerning her.  So He stood over her and rebuked the fever and it left her. And immediately she arose and served them.
In Luke 4:38-39 we have the story of Jesus going to the house of Simon (Peter), where finds Peter's mother in law sick with a high fever.  Jesus heals her and immediately she gets up and serves them.  I have read this account  before not only in the book of Luke, but also in the Gospels of Matthew and Mark, but as was reading this week I was struck how Peter's mother in law responded after being healed.  I then thought back on how I act after being sick.  Many times I find myself taking time off not only when I'm sick but then needing a few days afterwards to recooperate, but we don't see that here.  We are told immediately she got up and served them.  I don't know about you, but I might have been inclined to say something like, "you know, I'm just getting over being sick, maybe I'll just rest and take it easy."
What about you, have you ever taken more time than was needed by telling yourself you needed to "rest"?  I'm not saying that there are not times when we need to rest, but do we take advantage of the idea of resting, when we really should be up doing something?
Think about that this week, are you taking the appropriate time to rest and recooperate or are you using the excuse of needing to rest, when you really should be moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment