Tuesday, May 6, 2014

What does favor look like?

But the Lord was with Joseph and showed him mercy, and He gave him favor in the sight of the keeper of the prison.  Genesis 39:21

God had brought Daniel into the favor and goodwill of the chief of the eunuchs.  Daniel 1:9

You have granted me life and favor, and Your care has preserved my spirit.  Job 10:12

When you think of someone who has favor what comes to mind.  I hear this a lot when people pray, God grant me favor, but what does in look like?  Does it mean that I am trouble free, that things are going my way, that I am successful, have great husband, family, home?  What does it mean?

I think sometimes, when we pray for favor, we are praying for the things listed above.  If God grants us favor then things will start going right in our lives. 

But as I read the Bible I have noticed favor doesn't necessarily look like what we might think. 

Joseph was a prisoner when we are told that God gave him favor in the sight of the keeper of the prison.  Wouldn't it had been better to just get him out of prison?  Isn't that what we want, Lord grant us favor by getting us out of this situation.  Take this prison that is holding my captive and remove me from it?  But God doesn't always do that, and even if He does, it may not be in our time. 

Daniel had been taken from his country and became a slave, is that favor? 

Then Job, who had everything taken, says that the Lord has granted him life and favor.

So while we are praying for favor, hoping that God will remove us from our circumstances, maybe, just maybe you have already have favor.  Maybe instead of praying for something to change, know the God is working in your life and has a purpose for what you are going through. 

When we stop looking for God to take us out of something, we can be open to what God is going to do in your life, right where you are. 


Rest in that assurance.  God has granted you life and favor. 

God bless you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment