Friday, April 18, 2014

Cross Walk and Bomb Scare

Every year our city has a Cross Walk to commenerate Jesus walking to Calvary before he was crucified. This was the 28th year that this walk has been going on, but it was my first time to participate.  I had been wanting to go for a few years, but this was the first year that it worked out that I could make it.  
When I decided to go, I didn't call any friends or anyone to ask them to go, I just kinda went.  I figured that there would be someone that I knew, because a lot of people attend, and because people always tell me that I know everyone, so I was bound to know someone, right?
When I got to the movie theater, where everyone was meeting, I noticed that everyone seem to have a group of friends that they were meeting up with.  Every time someone new arrived there were shouts of "hello", hugs and "how are you?"   But as for me, there was no one that I knew.  I suddenly felt very alone, wanting to run back to my car and leave.  But then I started thinking, "is this how Jesus felt on his cross walk?"   Did he feel all alone in a sea of people?  What was Jesus thinking as he was walking, carrying the cross to his death?   What pain he must have felt, when he heard Peter deny him.  Where were the others?   The ones who only less then a week before, who were singing his praises, ready to crown him king.  As I looked around, I wanted to feel what Jesus felt, I wanted to know the pain my savior suffered on my behalf.  
As I watched the people gather, I wondered what were they here for?   Were they here to remember our king, or were they here because a friend asked them to come?  Was it social or was it personal?   
What about those that were there, that day over two thousand years ago?   What compelled them to come see Jesus crucified?   Were they there because there neighbors were?  Were they there because they wanted to be there for Jesus, or were they caught up in the crowd, yelling "Crucify Him"?   
So many young people, kids and babies joined us on our walk today.  And I wondered, did parents bring their kids out to see Jesus crucified?   Did they tell their children the truth about Jesus and what was happening?   Did they point and say, "see her, that's his mom"?   
There are times in our history, that when asked everyone can tell you where they were and what they were doing when it happened, the Kennedy assassination, the Space Shuttle explosion, the Twin Towers coming down.  Was it the same for the ones in Jesus' time.  Did they talk about the day the earth shook and the sky darkened?   
Right as we were beginning our walk I felt a twinge in my knee, and I thought, "praise The Lord".  I wanted to feel some pain when I walked.  Jesus did.  To me this was not a fun time, I did not wave to the passing cars.  This was truly a time to remember, to allow myself to feel and to say thank you, for I know that even if I was the only sinner in the world, Christ would have still died for me.  
As we were walking our 2.2 mile route, we were suddenly stopped.  It seems someone called in a bomb threat at the park where we were heading.  As we waited, I thought about Palm Sunday when the Pharisees wanted Jesus to quiet the people down.  Jesus said that even if the people were silenced, the rocks would cry out.  Here the enemy was trying to silence Jesus' people, doesn't he know that even if he stopped us, the very rocks would sing praises to The Lord?   As the police made us wait, I thought, what would stop me from praising my savior?   Would I stop, under the threat of death?   I can honestly say, that no, I will praise Jesus and spread the Good News, even under the threat of death.  Nothing will stop me.  
So I ask you, do you know Jesus?   If you were to die tonight, do you know where you would wake up tomorrow?   You see the Bible tells us that all have sinned.  We have all done things that are wrong and against God's Law.  And because of that sin, we all deserve death and eternal separation from God.  But God humbled himself and came down to Earth, Jesus, was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, and then voluntarily died on the cross to pay the price for our sin.  You see, it was the Jews or the religious leaders or the government that placed Jesus on the cross, it was His Love For You!   Jesus died for you, was buried in a tomb and then rose again three days later, thus conquering death.   That was God's part, that is His gift to you, our part is to accept this gift.   We must admit that we are sinners, that we deserve death, and accept God's gift as payment for our sins.  When we ask Jesus to come into our hearts, he does and cleanses us from all unrighteousness.  
If you already know Jesus as your savior, please respond with "amen" below.   If you have never done this and would like to, please go to my website and leave me your contact information.  I would like to pray with you, answer any of your questions and send you a Bible.  
God Bless.  

No comments:

Post a Comment